Alaska Travel Destinations
WE HAVE ALL BEEN TOURISTS:
Like many I have been a tourist as well, my family and I have been on a lot of vacations in our time and one of my favorite stories was on a road trip from Portland to the Oregon coast. I was driving the rental car and spotted some beautiful elk just off the road in the trees , I must have almost ran off the road in excitement as my family was screaming for me to pull over and let someone else drive if I was going to keep looking for them so I reluctantly pulled over and gave up the car. My story here is in relation to driving in Alaska during your visit watch out for the moose and watch out for people that are in a hurry to get where they are going , every summer we have a handful of fatal car wrecks due to heavy summer traffic so please be careful slow down and enjoy your vacation there is a lot of wildlife and things to look at here in Alaska so drive safely.
If I were the tourist coming to visit these are a list of destinations that I would recommend.
1. DENALI National Park - I personally haven't been there but I hear it is beautiful
2. SEWARD- There are many charter boats out of Seward that fish for halibut , rockfish, snapper and salmon many folks book there trips through The Fish House or Saltwater Safari Company there is also a Kenai Fjords tour offered by Major Marine tours, see whales, otters, sea lions, puffins and more. I have done that one and it was great. If you are into kayaking there is Sunny Cove Sea Kayaking or take a hike to Exit Glacier. Seward Sea life center is also a popular visit.
Seward also put on an annual 4th of July celebration with many vendors selling arts & crafts as well as food with the main event being the famous Mount Marathon race to the top of the mountain and back.
3. SOLDOTNA- (the river city) home of the world famous Kenai River and still the current record 97.4lb king salmon offers some of the best salmon and trout fishing you will ever experience. I recommend staying there for a couple days of fishing at the least if you do please give me a call Salmon Herder Charters at 907-262-7987 I have over twenty years of guiding experience on the river and have a very consistent catch record. If your party is larger than four I can accommodate you with some very reputable guides to help us out. We generally see moose or caribou and occasionally a bear along with many various birds including bald eagles on the river while fishing. Soldotna area also offers fly out fishing and bear viewing trips through High Adventure Air Charter or Alaska West Air. Canoe rentals along with numerous hiking trails are scattered throughout the Soldotna area as well.
4. ANCHOR POINT/ Deep Creek/ Ninilchik - Mainly an area to charter a halibut boat or clam digging on the other side of Cook Inlet I would recommend the Fish Magnet Guide Service or Greatland Guide Service they launch the boats off the beach in the surf with tractors there is no boat launch a very interesting experience.
5. HOMER - The homer spit is and always will be a favorite destination with a long boardwalk of deep sea fishing charter businesses, restaurants and souvenir shops and now the world famous Salty Dog Saloon. I highly recommend eating at the Lands End Restaurant it is located at the end of the road you can not drive any further than that I would give it a five star rating.